Re: [AMC-list] rosie went for a drive today!!!

Date: 2 Nov 2009 03:32:40 -0000
You guys are making me want to start on that 62 American body I have in back!! The filler neck on the 58-63 American is a killer. It's a flared end rubber piece from top to bottom. Top is flared and fits over the body, held in place by the metal piece that holds the gas cap. To fix mine I welded a piece of exhaust tubing to the metal cap piece with a 90 degree bend. To let the cap fit I think the tubing had to have a bell on the end (to clear the cap "ears"). Can't recall exactly, but I think it was 2" tubing. Then a straight piece of rubber fuel hose from NAPA connected the two.

--------------
From: das24rules@xxxxxxxxx
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

well, i finally got to drive rosie today. (my 63 440H) that car is a FUN car
to drive. casper (62 classic) is fun to drive, but not sporty by ANY means.
like tom j. was saying about his on his rally, that car is alot of fun to
drive. feels alot sportier than the classic. no sports car, but fun. ran
great. went about 50 miles round trip today. not a single real problem. i
need to adjust the trans kickdown cable, hits 2nd gear for only about 2
seconds and then strait to 3rd, even when you floor it. has a fair amount of
pep to it when you drop it to L, then let it go to D2. i got it up um... WAY
faster than any leagle speed. drove great. i got to get a new rubber piece
for the filler neck for the fuel tank. sloshes fuel out when i make a hard
right turn. havent filled it back up yet to see what milage is. now, time to
get interior done, and other things. turbo on that motor/body would be TONS
of fun.
--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts