Re: [AMC-list] Messing with the trunk -

Starting in 62 AMC made extensive use of galvanized metal in hard to reach places. That might be part of what saved it. I've found fine dust/dirt in cavities many times though. There are supposed to be drain holes in the lower panels. These are often little slits/openings in the seams that are hard to find. Dust and dirt gets in past seals in windows, trunks, etc., and settles in. You probably had a load of dry dust/dirt down there that didn't get wet until you washed out the trunk, and the dust/dirt is blocking the drain. The dirt can draw moisture, but usually doesn't draw much, and it takes many years for it to rust through. I discovered such pockets of dirt in my old 63 American in the mid 90s. Took it 30 years to collect 3-4" of dirt and rust through in a small area.
-----------
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 12:29:43 -0500
From: Bruce Griffis <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>

I did a little body filler today (not the bondo stuff, just a little
filler where there are some irregularities in the metal). Then I
figured I'd stick my hand down the side wells between the trunk floor
and the fenders. I'm guessing the seam sealer on the driver''s side
was in bad shape for a long time. The bottom was filled with hard
packed dirt and mud. It was wet from when I washed the trunk prior to
fiberglassing the rusted out spot. I got a lot out, but think I'll
pick up some attachments for my shop vac so I can reach all the way
down. The passenger's side seemed fine - but the driver's side was
bad.

Where I cleaned up and was able to feel the metal on the sides - it
seemed smooth and solid. I'm guessing the failure must have been
recent - but that wouldn't explain all the dirt in there. Time to
clean it out and look a little closer from underneath. Might need to
figure out how to get rust converter down in there after I get it
clean and dry.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts