Re: [AMC-list] motor to fit 63 americans again

Years a go I helped a guy fit a 2300 in a 54 Nash Rambler, which is essentially the same main unit body as the 58-63 Americans. That one had a carb, but if you have room side to side vertical clearance shouldn't be an issue. You might end up wanting a loser geared rear axle -- that fellow's car had been an OD model w/4.10 gears. If you have a 3.08 or better you should be good with a three speed auto, if it's an OD auto you'll probably want more like 3.31-3.78, and 4.11 shouldn't be too low. The one I helped with was a four speed manual (no OD). It was quite peppy and still wasn't turning too many rpm at highway speed. Was a bit peppier than a Pinto, got decent mileage too as I recall (no complaints anyway). The American only weighs about 200 pounds more than a Pinto, and that's with the rather heavy 196. The 2300 has to weigh at least 200 pounds less!! With the intake wrapping over it sounds like a front wheel drive setup, but I know it was used in Rangers. I haven't seen one in a while, but I don't think it's real wide. I'm sure the one you found is in a Ranger (rear drive) or you wouldn't be considering it!
-----------
Date: 31 Oct 2009 06:28:51 -0000
From: das24rules@xxxxxxxxx

i have found a ford 2.3 liter with auto trans for cheap. wonder if one of
those would fit in the american? taking off all the a/c and stuff. all that
would be needed would be the alternator. its intake appears to wrap over the
top of the engine. any thoughts?

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts