Re: [AMC-list] 66 classic V8

The Classic only used the 287 from the factory. The transmission is an M-8 (there was no M-10, at least not used by AMC, jumped from M-8 to M-11).The 66 model will have a vacuum line AND a throttle cable. The cable IS NOT just a kick-down, it also controls internal pressure and MUST be connected for the trans to function properly. The bore is cast on the right side (looking from the driver's perspective) just behind the head on top of the block. 287 will have 3-3/4 cast in, 327 would have a 4.
--------------
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 19:48:32 -0400
From: Matt Haas <mhaas@xxxxxxx>

It would be either a 287 or 327. The bore size is cast into the block but I don't recall what it is. If you have the alternator bracket, there is a 5 or 6 digit code stamped into it. An E or F means 327 and a G means a 287.

The transmission is a Borg Warner automatic. There's a tag on it that has the model number but I think it's an M-10.

Matt

On 10/30/2009 3:17 PM, Keith Evenson spouted this sage advice:

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts