[AMC-list] AMC Eagle vented gas cap

 Eddie,
It is not unusual for older tanks to build a bit of pressure, maybe you
would hear a little "hissss" when you open the cap.  Most Pre-1971 (1970
California)  caps were not pressurized, so sometimes a clogged vent hole
could cause the tank to create a vacuum, sometimes even cutting off gas to
the engine.  If it is not a pressurized system replace the cap.  You should
be able to get a vented cap at any "good" parts store.

If the tank is pressurized some of them push fumes into a charcoal canister
if that model has one, or to the evaporative control box.  In this kind of
system it would be normal to hear a fairly heavy pressure release,
especially on hot days.  If the system is pressurized you could have a
pressure release valve I believe off the charcoal canister, control box, or
in the cap, and if you have an unusually high pressure buildup you may have
to again replace the cap or valve.  The way I understand it vapors from the
tank or carburetor bowl vent are vented to the canister which absorbs the
fumes to be later drawn into the engine to be burned.

I know in Houston this won't be a problem but in areas of the country where
there are elevation changes, such as in the mountains you could experience a
very high pressure in the tank after rapid elevation changes.  Not all
states test evaporative control systems, or even gas caps as part of annual
inspections.

You may want to resolve this soon as there have been cases where too much
pressure or vacuum buildup in a tank has split the seams.  That might just
ruin your day.

As always just my .02 cents worth and not to be taken as gospel.

Sheldon Aubut
Houlton  WI  USA
http://www.sheldonaubut.com