Re: [AMC-list] calponycar adapter to replace the T-96 with T-5...

I've heard the roller can wear on an old input. Just a "I've heard" can't recall where. I guess maybe the tip is softer on some, but I don't see how that could be true. With all the splining and machining that is done to an input.

-----Original Message-----
From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 14:22:10
To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] calponycar adapter to replace the T-96 with T-5...

" From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" > yeah; they're fine on the back but front end roll geometry is completely
" > opposite to what low profiles want - tires are set to lean -more- into a
" > roll instead of staying more vertical.
"
" And the usual suggestion for American cars is to put super stiff springs up
" front to minimize compression to minimize (positive) camber changes... I'm
" not going that route, it doesn't need it, it would ruin the car for the 99%
" of the time I'm NOT rallying. I wonder too how much the negative camber
" change on these cars match the body roll, or could be made to with stiffer
" rear springs or sway bar.

the correct solution would be what shelby did with his mustangs,
relocate the upper inner a-arm pivot.  it was easy on those cars b/c
the pivot is a bolt-on dogbone; you can just drill [and reinforce] new
holes on the inner fender...

" From: Wrambler <wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Go to a large Advance auto or Napa, they often have boxes of different
" size bronze pilots. When I did not have the correct one for my 4.0L T5
" combo I went to an Advance auto and found one that had the correct .509? IIRC.
" inner diameter for the AMC T5 but was way thicker and larger in external diam.
" I took it to a machine shop and had the external machined to fit the crank
" and had them leave a 1/4" lip on one side so it would only drive in so far.
" Works perfect, cheap to! I think you can even buy the oiled bronze in chunks
" or rods if needed.

warner trannies up to the mid '70s, at least on amc, stude, and
willys, have 0.750" pilots; fords, incl the t150 amc used, are mostly
0.670"; gm are 0.590".  the sr4 on both ford and amc, amc/jeep t4/t5,
t170 family, ba 10/5, ax5, and early ax15 are 0.590".  4-cyl ford t5s
may also be 0.590".  toyota, incl their ver of the ax5 and ax15, are
10.5mm, 0.413".  that's if you want to put an r154 behind your 4.0.

not likely a help for a 196, but from
http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/tech_specs.html

'87-'89.5 BA10/5:
'89.5-'91 AX15:
[0.590" pilot]

OEM pilot bearing 33004041 for '87-'91 4.0 engine or stroker
Advance Adapters pilot bushing 716120 for '92-'06 4.0 engine

'92-'99 AX15 and NVG3550:
[0.750" pilot]

OEM pilot bearing 53009180AB for '87-'91 engine or stroker
OEM pilot bearing 53009180AB or 53009181 for '92-'06 4.0 engine.

i'm curious how far back in amc history the oem rollers fit...  would
the 0.750" fit my 199?