Re: [AMC-list] calponycar adapter to replace the T-96 with T-5...

Re: [AMC-list] calponycar adapter to replace the T-96 with T-5...

> as i read it, the 3 shafts are:
> 7.18    '93-down v8s
> 7.41    4-cyls
> 7.85    '94-up v6, v8

Oh right, I missed that obvious detail! Thanks.

> i always reckoned that you'd have to use the '94-up setup for this
> sort of adapter, and that would still leave only ~2/3" for plate
> thickness.

Actually, with Rambler Mentality ever present, the 4cyl trans is probably
cheaper and an easier junkyard find, since "everyone" wants the V8 jobs, but
5th OD isn't good. Or 94-up, both are such that the adapter/spacer is
practical.

  i personally think something
> around 0.78 would be perfectly spaced, but better to go short than
> long unless you have hp to burn.

With 26" tires, the T96's .70 is fine, it could even be a bit steeper, so
.68 would be good. I've got a 3.77 axle. My spreadheet says that the .83 5th
would be GREAT! with the auto trans axle, what's that, 3.3?  But things can
always be "better"... I'm using what I have, I'm not chasing axles down.

Absolutely on the no-brainer to-do list is good tires. We ran Falken Azenis
tires on or 24 Hrs LeMons car and they were unbelievably good tires --
immediately and drastically so. But the tallest I *think* I can fit in this
car -- with custom 16" steel wheels -- is 2225/50-16's.

I'm wary of low profile tires. They suck on old cars (though often look
great). But I will work it backwards and figure out what works best and is
most affordable. I simply cannot afford to drop $1000 on a trans (never mind
adapters and trivia) and another $800 on tires, no way.

 with this tranny p/n, it should be
> easy to get replacement 5th gear parts through the usual rebuilder
> supply chain.  perhaps naively, i'd expect the '94-up input to fit any
> 3.35-geared t5.  [there are 2 gearsets, 265 and 300-up ft-lbs, with
> different 2nd and 3rd ratios]

Yeah, but I'm not gonna hack transmission innards. It'll be good used, bolt
in.

> big problem for the t5 retainer bolts too - it has to be thick enough
> to clear them.  if you use panhead bolts and cut divots clear through
> the adapter to clear their heads, you're down to what for minimum?
> 1/4"?

Most of these adapters use flat head countersunk allen socket screws. .41"
or .78" would be an OK thickness for them.

> i don't think the stock bell is more than ~1/4" thk around the t96
> bolts.  it does have stiffening ribs.

Yeah, good point, and who's heard of transmissions pulling off of bells?!
The engine torque is not against the case, it's along the hard parts down
the middle. The torque on the case is nearly insignificant (counter shafts
blah blah). So as long as it's located square, concentric, and doesn't flex,
it probably doesn't matter.

I mean, we're talking 138hp (claimed) and if I ever get around to turboing
it, what 160hp? I'm not worried. The soda straw driveshaft and big-nut rear
are in no danger, besides, I'm not clutch-dumping at a drag strip.

how about a plate for the flywheel to move the clutch closer to the
tranny, if there's clearance for it?

The clutch and flywheel are not the problem (yet...), but sticking the input
shaft into the end of the crank.