Re: [AMC-list] clutch disc wanted

" From: tom jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 17:09, Sandwich Maker <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"
" > this disc should work on a 196 with mopar pp ca1576
"
"
" Yeah maybe, but as far as I can tell none actually exist that you can
" actually buy.

that's a bit of a surprise, considering it was widely used by mopar
for some 25 years and the std clutch in slant-6 vans/trucks right up
to '87.  okay, i know they're not that common...

" The double-drilled flywheels exist, but none of mine are. I'm
" stuck with 8" clutches. I do have one larger pattern (9"?), not
" double-drilled, and damn sure I'd mock up with an early 6 bell to make
" sure it actually had clearance before I bought parts.

i don't know that much about the older clutches but i thought the 8"
and 8.5" bolted to the 9" pattern.  trolling the perfection cat
suggests they don't, which means there are -3- [at least] patterns: the
8/8.5", the 9 1/8", and the 10.5", some or all of which can be found
on '50s-'60s amc six flwheels.

perfection shows the 9 1/8" pp fitting sixes from the '50s to the late
'70s, with 1" and 1 1/16" spline discs.  it's the std clutch '64-up,
with the same small bell as 196s.

from personal experience, 10" clutches clear the bell; 10.5" do not.
that's with b&b pp; diaphragms are lower in profile and may all clear.

" I'm really not worried about the 8" clutch, even when I get around to
" turboing it. I'm not ever gonna drag race, where I will have full power
" applied to a disc less than fully engaged. I engage the clutch (foot off)
" then apply power. I don't know what power level would force slipping of a
" fully engaged clutch, but with good parts and stiction it's gotta be more
" than the likely 160 - 175hp I'll ever have out of a turbo'd 195.6.

amc specified a 10" clutch with the 2bbl 304 and t14.  it had about
175 hp iirc.  the disc for this [rcf446 w/1" spl] is what the op had
trouble finding; a 1 1/16" spline as for a t5 swap is all over
ford-land.

volvo went to a larger clutch with their sixes too, also about this
power.

" The early american clutch is the same part as a Volvo P1800.

disc only; all 1800s, 122s, 140s and 240s '62-'78; actually 8.5".
also used only by stude, on sixes.

" T.O. bearing is
" different I think, but those are easy to find, for now anyways.

both bearing and pp.

perfection #st771 bearing is also used by mopar to '71, mostly on
sixes, by stude on sixes, and by ford on the old 223 six.  jeep used
it with the buick 350.
#ca1530 pp for both 8" and 8.5" discs was used only by amc and stude.

#rcf658 9 1/8" disc was also used only by amc and stude.
#ca1676 9 1/8" pp was used by mopar with sixes in cars up through '80,
by stude on sixes - where it's the hd opt for the same 8.5" shared
with amc - and small v8s, and on the pontiac 194 slant-4.

volvo 160s and 260s to '78 have a 9" disc which is not the same as
amc...  in '79 volvo switched from 10 to 22 spline inputs.  btw the
260 used the same douvrin v6 as the late amc/renaults, the ones that
inspired mopar to develop the lh platform which saved them in the
'90s.