Re: [AMC-list] My upgrades/conversions

The T-89 and T-10 have the same bolt pattern. I'm not sure about the T-86, it probably does too. The six cylinder torque tube coupler -- where it bolts to the transmission -- is the same. The splines, u-joint size, and shaft type are different. I don't know if for sure, but I believe the T-86 six cylinder cars received a V-8 torque tube and axle as well. The T-86 was normally used behind the 287. All AMC would have needed was a special bell to put the standard T-86 V-8 pieces behind the six, and I *think* that's what they did. Would explain the "Mexican" T-10 bell for the early six too. The M40 didn't come around until 1967. 1966 287s used the M-8. M-11 didn't come out until 67 either. 65-66 M-8s have the throttle valve cable AND a vacuum reference signal (has something to do with internal pressure, but both have to be connected for it to work right).
------------
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 22:25:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)

" From: Matt Haas <mhaas@xxxxxxx>
" " Keep in mind this is a torque tube car.
he's got to change it all if he goes to a v8, and i believe both the
287's t86 and the 327's t89 bolt to a '67-'74 v8 bell,
but is the 6 torque tube coupler actually a different size or location?  wasn't the t86 a [rare] hd option with the 196?

on the auto side, both the 2bbl 290/304 aluminum m40 and the iron
m11/m12 from bigger v8s '67-'71 will likewise bolt to the 4.0, with
flexplate balance weights removed.  i'm just -assuming- the m40 will
take the m35's torque tube adapter, but for sure the iron warners will
take an iron warner tt adapter.  heck, didn't 327s also run the m11?
come to think of it, weren't 287s running the m40 by '66?

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts