Re: [AMC-list] Instrument Voltage Regulator

Best thing you can do is just get rid of the old bi-metal regulator: http://wps.com/AMC/dashreg/index.html Works flawlessly! The bi-metal regulator is an "averaging" regulator. It produces and average of 5V by cutting 12V off and on rapidly. You might get 5V with a digital voltmeter, an analog meter (needle type) will fluctuate between 0 and 12V. The only way I can think of to test it is to pull it out and apply power to it. You should be able to hear (close to your ear) or feel (if you're holding it) it clicking, sort of like a relay. Refer to the link above to note which lugs to connect to 12V. To check the gauge, pull the sending unit wire and ground it. The gauge should go up to the top -- above the highest setting. If the needle moves but reads lower than as high as the needle can go (which is way above the full or hot mark), the regulator is probably bad. If it doesn't move either the gauge is bad or isn't getting power (bad regulator). If both temp and fuel gauges read low or don't read at all it's definitely the regulator since both feed off the same regulator.
----------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 18:29:53 -0500
From: Keith Evenson <epd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-list] Instrument Voltage Regulator
	DelSp="yes"

Does anyone know is there a way to check to test an Instrument Voltage Regulator to see if it works? I have a couple of them and my gas gauge on my AMX does not work. I have checked to see if I have power at the sending unit and I do. I have hooked a new sending unit up to the wires to test it and it did not make my gauge move. So if I can test my regulator to see if it works or not then I will go from there.
Thanks

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts