Re: [AMC-list] Door panels and Crapets.....

1. Masonite board. You may have a hard time finding it in anything but pegboard, but that's fine since it will be covered. Either use plastic or plain old roofing felt ("tar paper") between door and panel. Home Depot used to sell "door skins" that are 1/8" luan plywood -- those will work well also. Masonite is what the originals were, or something very similar. 2. Molded carpet is what we really want, but it's just not available any more. None of the cut and sewn kits fit perfectly, but about the best fit you'll find is from a Rambler guy -- "For Ramblers Only" (http://www.forramblersonly.blogspot.com/). That's Mac McCoy, and he cuts and sews them himself. He'll also send you a video on loan covering the installation. I think he charges like $20 for the video, and sends the deposit back when/if you return it. He made the video also. I have his carpet in my 63 Classic. Any cut & sewn carpet needs some fitting, but this fit pretty darned good -- the only complaint I might have is that the cargo area is a bit long, but then I don't fold my back seat down. It probably has to be a bit long to fit over that fold down flap when it's down.
----------
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 19:54:48 -0500
From: A Griffith <arfonrg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Two questions-

1) Does anyone know of a source for the door panel backing board? Only thing I can come up with is 1/4" luan but that is far too thick. poster-board is too flimsy. Ideas?

2) Crapet- After reading Wrambler's post, that got me thinking I'll be buying some soon. Who's carpet kits actually fit without headaches?

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts