Re: [AMC-list] 43 Rogues...is this right?

Andrew, those mods were made to make the car meet new crash test standards. I meant bracing in addition to the standard 69 coupes. I know you're aware of this, but... Convertibles have to have extra bracing to make up for the lack of the roof, which makes the side of the car sort of like a truss. Without that over the top bracing, the body would flex way too much and eventually sag to the point the doors wouldn't close. I wouldn't want to drive a car with the roof cut off! I've considered doing just that to one of my old cars, but also intended to weld the doors shut. That in itself would stiffen the car to the point extra bracing shouldn't be needed, but I intend to add a six point roll bar also... provided I ever get around to doing it at all!
-----------
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 16:23:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)

" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
" " [] " " So what about the 390 powered SC/Ramblers? Those coupe bodies have all the heavier convertible bracing in them. The inner rockers and the rear seat back brace are heavier. I'm sure some other components are stronger, but those are the only two I know of for certain.
all '68-up americans got reinforced; my '68 199 2dr has front subframe
rails running all the way to the trunk.  on my '66s they ended under
the middle of the floor.  iirc the '68 firewall area was also
redesigned for greater strength.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts