Re: [AMC-list] Reversed Battery Connections! What did I do???

Check all fuses first. How did you run power to the fuel pump? Find the power wire and jump directly to the battery and see if you get fuel pressure. There's a good chance that you shorted the ECU though, unfortunately. The fuel pump would probably survive reversed polarity for a second or so, the ECU, however, probably didn't like it at all! But check the fuel pump circuits first. Oh, since you mentioned the solenoid, does it click when you turn the switch on? If not, the damage stopped there! Since it was smoking, there's a good chance you just burned the solenoid up.
---------
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 15:13:04 -0400
From: Nicholas McIntosh <n.m@xxxxxxxxxxx>

So in getting my eagle ready to be sold, I found it with a dead battery, so I put in one from another car. But I accidentally reversed the pos and neg connections. It started crackling and smoking at the solenoid! I got it disconnected right away, but now the fuel pump won't turn on. What do you think I did, and how can I fix it?

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts