From: "Sandwich Maker" <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx, jeepcherokees@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, strokers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2009 10:34:07 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [AMC-list] fwd: [xjlist] Clunker Math

forwarding this fwiw...  someone else mentioned a survey showing that
most 'clunkers' were already planning to buy within a year anyways, so
each saved less than 320 gallons in total.

" To: "XJ List" <xjlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
" From: "Neal Hoover" <proj96xj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" got this info from another list...
"
"
" A vehicle at 15 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 800 gallons a year of
" gasoline.
" A vehicle at 25 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 480 gallons a year.
"
"
" So, the average clunker transaction will reduce US gasoline
" consumption by 320 gallons per year.
"
" They claim 700,000 vehicles so that is 224 million gallons/year.
" That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil.
"
" 5 million barrels of oil is about 1/4 of one day's US consumption.
"
" And, 5 million barrels of oil costs about $350 million dollars at $75/bbl.
"
" So, tax payers contributed $3 billion to save $350 million.
" And 80% of the auto profits went to foreign countries.
"
"
" just the facts (as they were passed on to me...)
" - does anyone in leadership do the math before they make decisions?

<cynic>
of course they do!  it closely involves lobbyists, pressure groups,
special interests, and campaign contributions...
</cynic>