Re: [AMC-list] AW4 question

" From: Doug Dornbos <dornbos@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Hi all
"
" I am working on a junkyard AW4 (RWD) transmission pulled from a 1994
" Cherokee. I have several questions:
"
" []
"
" 4. if you can steer me to a website that I should be looking at for this
"   project, please let me know.

greatlakesxj.com/tech.html has xj parts and svc manuals for d/l,
including the '94.  there'll be sections on the aw4.

" From: Greg Taylor <amundaza@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" Doug,
" A couple of FS Jeep guys have done the swap.  Check out the FSJ swap thread at
" http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=98429

very interesting read!  one nit - wagoneerlover says the 360 is
neutral balanced, but that's backwards; the 4.0 [like all inlines] is
neutral, the 360 is externally balanced.  the need to rebalance the
flexplate remains though.

briefly in the mid '90s, the supra had a 5sp 'a350'; i can't find any
other app for it.  it may or may not be related to the a340.  it may
or may not be junk.  it was used behind a smallish engine in a
lightish car.  i've wondered if it'd be an easy swap for the a340/aw4
ever since i learned about it; the later a750 5sp is almost certainly
completely different.

" From: wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx
"
"
"    Not much help I know. Oh yeah, Toyota used the same trans with some beefing up in supras/trucks,etc;  try the Toyota guys if you want. See if they can be of more help.

they called it the a340; beefiest stock version i know of was the
early-'00s 4.7 tundra a343.