From: Doug Dornbos <dornbos@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 08:32:15
To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-list] AW4 question

Hi all

I am working on a junkyard AW4 (RWD) transmission pulled from a 1994
Cherokee. I have several questions:

1. what should I do with this before I put it in my vehicle? tonight
I'll put it on my engine stand so it will be real easy to work on
compared to being under a vehicle. are there things I should be doing at
this point that will be difficult to do later? I've never messed with
transmissions before other than change the fluid. I am planning on
putting this in a 1973 4-dr. Matador without any electronics and my plan
is to manually shift it with a switch.

2. the trans leaked fluid both out of the front and the back when I
tilted it one way or the other. is that normal or should some seals be
replaced? I'm open to any recommendation here which you might give.

3. the fluid that leaked out looked nasty. brown .... no red left.
that's not a good sign AFAIK. is there any way to tell if the trans is
actually any good before I go through the effort of putting it in the
vehicle?

4. if you can steer me to a website that I should be looking at for this
  project, please let me know.

5. I am looking for a yoke for this .... if anyone has one they want to
sell, let me know.

6. I haven't had this mocked up in the Matador yet so I have no idea how
much modification the mount is going to need. If you have experience to
share in that area, I'd be interested.

thanks
Doug