Re: [AMC-list] 71 Gremlin 232 Carburetor

Re: [AMC-list] 71 Gremlin 232 Carburetor

If it is a Carter it will say Carter on the outside of the air horn.  It might have a triangular tag under a fuel bowl screw.  If so, your problems are over.  Just order the rebuild kit for that carb number. If the carb has been rebuilt previously, the tag might not be there.  If it is a Carter carburetor and it is a single barrel carburetor (one throttle plate) it is a YF.  Order the kit for a carter YF carb and the instructions with the kit should contain enough information that you can make the correct float height setting etc.

There were several small Holley carbs used over the years, so I can't help you there, but I think by the time the emissions regs had really begun to me implemented the small Holleys were pretty well phased out at least in American Motors cars.

Joe Fulton