[AMC-list] broken bracket

Had an interesting occurance over the weekend.
The plan was to go to Sioux Falls on Sunday and attend the Mopar Show, maybe
get another trophy in the AMC class.....
Took the cover off the white Javelin and walked around to the back, noticed
the right rear shock was hanging below the wheel rim.
Got down there for a closer look and found the bottom leaf spring / shock
mount bracket had broken right at the 90 degree bend.
This is the side of the car with the shock in  front of the axle.  The other
side has the top shock plate into the hump sheetmetal, this side is into the
subframe. I'd always heard the sheetmetal of the hump would give way. Nope
not with this one.... it was a 1/4 inch thinck pressed and punched bracket
that broke. The hump sheetmeatl is just fine.
I looked over the bracket and noticed it had been broken for quite some
time. Rust in the break except for maybe about 3/8 to 1/2 of the bend.
Probably started cracking so many years ago I hate to think. Must have been
flexing around down there for a while too!
Anyway I pulled everything apart and sandblasted the bracket. I gorund a
bevel on one edge and welded the two pieces back together with some 7018 low
hydrogen rod. I ground and cleaned and made sure there weren't any slag
inclusions. Then I blsted it again with sand and primed and painted it
black. Put everythign all back together and so far it's OK.
Sad part is I missed the Mopar Show. Oh  well there's al;ways next year.
Weird stuff seems to happen all the time doesn't it???

have a good one all,

Armand