Re: [AMC-list] Last long trip?

" From: "Tom" <tnmorrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" []
" The Eagle ran
" really good this year, with mileage in the low 20's, but have,
" over the past few years, getting more and more oil coming from
" the top of the valve cover, bad enough that I had to disconnect
" it from the air cleaner because of soaking the filter with oil.
" []
" It brought me home AGAIN, thank goodness, but
" here's the question: is it time for an engine rebuild?  maybe a
" head rebuild and new pump, if the compression's OK?  Next year
" Livonia's hosting the AMO, and barring personal disaster, I and
" the Eagle want to be there, and not on a trailer.  Does anybody
" know a REALLY competent AMC engine rebuilder in southern Maine
" area(I don't trust either me or my mechanic for that...)?  Thanks
" for any and all responses.

if you really are facing a rebuild, how about a 4.0 swap?  if you have
an auto, a '91-5 wrangler w/auto would be the easiest donor; they use
a nearly identical tranny.  might cost about the same, with more power
and economy.