Re: [AMC-list] Oil leaking from under the valve cover - 195.6OHV

You most likely do have a warped valve cover. Other than setting it on a known flat surface I can't think of a way to check it. Overtightening the two cover screws usually do it. They should be good snug, but not "wrenched" down real tight. You might be able to loosen the bolts and get it to stop leaking... if you're lucky. Other than that you could clean the gasket (should be a rubber piece that fits in a groove in the cover) and mating surface on the head and use a bead of silicone. But you'll have to clean and reseal every time the cover is off, which should be at least once a year to adjust valves (every 5K or so miles, I always did it once a year need it or not).
--------------
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 12:38:42 -0400
From: Bruce Griffis <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>

I'm noticing quite a profuse oil leak from my car. I tracked it down
to coming out from under the valve cover at the rear of the engine
near the firewall. At first I though it was the main seal, but
checking further, it comes from right up by the back of the engine,
top of the head, right under the valve cover.

I had the leak before replacing the gasket. I replaced the gasket and
it is still leaki t was leaking before I had the head done, but I put
that lower on my list of priorities. It still leaks after the head was
done.

How do I make sure my valve cover is absolutely flat front to back,
side-to-side? I'm thinking that would be the next place to check.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts