Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 21:08:43 -0500
From: "Armand Eshleman" <aje1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] electrical issues
To: "AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family" <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Somehow a connection has been made to the ignition circuit from the charging
circuit, otherwise the engine wouldn't keep running with the key off. With
the ignition switch off check for voltage at the distributor. If the
ignition is hot all the time it will quickly use up the points. Recheck the
wiring for the alternator. the wires for the alternator and the ignition
system come out the same spot in the harness, are some of the wires mixed
up, connected wrong? Could be one of the diodes in the alternator has failed
already, or was to begin with, never actually repaired, recheck the
alternator for output. The red light will be on at idle with a bad diode,
but go out once the engine revs up.
The fuel gauge is probably a separate issue. Poor ground connection causing
wrong reading, or sending unit in tank has bad connection, or partially
saturated float in tank.

Best I can come up with, but I'm not an electrical guru either.

Armand