Re: [AMC-list] Was: Anyone have ...now M-3x tranny cooling

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 17:32, Matt Haas <mhaas@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> It does not have the hole for the air inlet and the T/C didn't have
> anything on it that looked like a fan. Smooth is probably a good description
> of it. A quick look in the parts book says that it should be an M-37. 199
> cars (which is what is in the car) got M-36's.

My M35 is quite obviously air cooled. It's from a '65, but my car originally
had an aluminum 195.6 + T96OD, but this is the correct trans for that motor.
I've got it behind a '70 232.

There's a backwards air scoop on the lower right side (like road draft, it
creates a weak vacuum) and small rectangular air inlets on the upper left of
the bell housing. The fins on the TC are VERY obvious, louver-like. I keep
meaning to check the air path to those upper vents, I might dryer-hose duct
cool air to them if it's easy enough.

The first time I had it rebuilt by the brain surgeons at B&E Trans in San
Francisco I had them look at it to drill for external liquid cooling. They
said it might be possible but failure would mean having to find a new case.
I opted out.

20 years later I got around to putting a temp guage on the trans pan and
found that the setup cools really well, even in a Classic wagon hauling at
least 1000 lbs of krap. On flat and level it runs 130 - 160, in bad stop and
go traffic in hot weather it runs around 190 - 200 or more but cools right
down on cruise. For me, stop and go would be helped with a liquid cooler
with electric fan.

I no longer worry about the transmission. 300,000+ miles on it's second full
rebuild.