As far as the headrests go, I'm pretty sure those were mandated in the late 60's. It looks like they may have been mandated as of Jan 1, 1969 (October 1, 67 for vehicles purchased by the feds). Prior to this (1969 date), you could order either a driver's side headrest or both sides.

One other topic mentioned in this thread was shoulder belts. Those were mandated for the front seats in cars manufactured after Jan 1, 1968. Prior to that, they were optional on 1968 models.

Matt

On 6/10/2009 9:58 AM, Frank Swygert spouted this sage advice:
Probably a car that the dealer just ordered, or what the factory sent after the dealer ordered a base model American w/232 and auto trans. Maybe they did just have a seat with headrests sitting around and nowhere in particular to put it -- things like that have happened! "AS" was usually in front of the model number of the trans from BW. On the example tag in the 69-71 TSMs (the same photo in all three) the number is "AS2-40", indicating a Model 40 auto trans. The big BW autos have "AS8-11" (or 12) on them. I think AMC guys came up with the "M-40", etc., as an abbreviation for "Model". The other numbers are internal to BW and really aren't needed for ID by the end user/mechanic. I always though all the 4x series were liquid cooled, but to make them air cooled really just takes the air cooled torque converter and corresponding bell housing. The 3x and 4x uses the same bell pattern anyway. The 4x has provisions for a liquid cooler though, the 35 doesn't for sure, and I'm reasonably sure the 36 and 37 don't either, but might. So the 4x series may have been available as air cooled in the American -- your experience sure indicates that anyway.
-----------
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 02:17:19 +0000 (UTC)
From: Wrambler <wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Don't ya just have to wonder why someone would check off on those seats in a base model, add a 232 and auto, and NOTHING else? I have the 3:31 TGrip in it now, but it had 3:08 open diff when I bought it. This is also the car that I found to have the auto trans that was tagged as an S-42 aircooled trans.

--
mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH