Re: [AMC-list] steering column and box

I have an S-10 tilt-column in my 63 Classic. It's not real hard to install one, you just have to cut the "foot" plate off and mate it to the Rambler plate. AMC made it easy - I just used a couple pieces of 1/2" wide strap bent 90° and drilled to fit the screws in the floor for the AMC column, then used a hose clamp to fasten them to the GM column. For wiring I cut the GM end off the harness and spliced the Rambler wires to it. You could cut the harness connector off the column and splice in if desired -- maybe use individual bullet connectors (I think the Rambler wires have bullet ends on them...). AMC used a standard Saginaw gearbox. I'm not sure if a Vega box will fit, but an intermediate box (Camaro, Chevelle, maybe Nova) should fit. GM changed the mounting pattern in the 70s, so you need a 60s box to bolt on without changes. I put a 1980s GM power steering box on my car before I cobbled the R&P on there now. I think it was the very bottom hole that lined up, I drilled holes for the other bolts. Just use a large washer on the outside of the rail -- a plate would be better. If you overtighten bolts that aren't near a horizontal piece of the rail the rail will want to crush. For one of the holes I drilled an oversize hole on the inside (behind the box) and inserted a piece of thin wall tubing that the bolt would fit through. This I tack welded in place and ground own on the inside, using the bolt to keep it in position on the outside. One of the holes was ABOVE the rail. I just used a pipe spacer over that bolt so it would hold the box tight to the inner fender panel. It was JUST above the rail, so it was a pretty strong area. I drove the car several years like that with no problems at all.
----------
Date: 10 Jun 2009 07:14:59 -0000
From: das24rules@xxxxxxxxx

i am thinking about adding an IDIDIT tilt steering column to casper. also a
quicker ratio manual box. the ididit columns come with gm style wiring kit.
will that be able to be spliced into the 62 rambler wiring? also, i know it
has been talked about before, but i forgot.  what steering box will bolt onto
the old ramblers? for some reason vega sticks in my mind, but maybe not.
anything more common able to bolt to it? how hard is it to redrill the frame
there to mount a different box?
--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts