Re: [AMC-list] Chinese Hummers

Wow. It just shows how fantastically complicated business is these days.
Travel and telecomm. (and "creative" lawyerin' both good and bad) has
blurred all the lines.

I think it's the best thing possible, in spite of the side effects. When
every large country/entity is entirely interlinked it makes land-grab
warfare of the past pretty much unusable.

I'm sure we'll find new ways to war with each other.

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 16:52, Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A copywrighted newsletter to which I subscribe indicated that the Chinese
> construction company bought the Hummer franchise from GM for $500 million
> cash (though that price has not been confirmed).  That company financed it
> themselves.  They did not borrow a cent from the Chinese government or
> anyone else.  They plan to export the majority of the cars to China.  If
> Americans quit buying them, it would be a good thing, although it will be a
> foreign owned company, they will be producing a product for export.  Not a
> good thing for the existing Hummer dealers, but good for our balance of
> payments.
>
> Joe Fulton
>
> --- On Wed, 6/3/09, Sandwich Maker <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > " From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
> > "
> > "
> > " Too bad Beijing Jeep didn't buy Hummer. They could
> > probably sell their
> > " "Jeep 2500" (a slightly stretched XJ) over here, but I
> > read up a bit
> > " on that nightmare operation. They were originally set up
> > as a
> > " government operation, and the Chinese government was the
> > major buyer.
> > " There was no marketing or sales operation, at least not
> > for a long
> > " time. The prices were high due to not being allowed to
> > lay off workers
> > " or streamline operations, like most communist plants.
> > They couldn't
> > " build them cheap enough to sell over here, not unless
> > they could
> > " guarantee high volumes. Even then it would be "iffy". I
> > think they are
> > " still in business, but the Chinese government was going
> > to cut them
> > " off subsidies a couple years ago, so they probably aren't
> > doing so
> > " well.
> >
> > yikes.  brings new meaning to the phrase 'chinese fire
> > drill'...
> >
> > they made a '4000' model as well, and judging by the ranks
> > of cherokee
> > fans they'd sell steadily here.  not sure they could
> > make it meet
> > current standards.
> > Andrew Hay
> >
> >     the genius nature