[AMC-list] Some Days are Diamonds and...

[AMC-list] Some Days are Diamonds and...

some days are stone.
Yesterday was a diamond.  I traced a wiring problem (bad splice) on my car trailer and replaced the tail/stop light fixtures with newer Harbor Freight units.  Note that they were a gift.  I never would have bought them from HF myself.  But as I said they were a gift so I used them.  I also fixed my portable winch without having to replace the motor.  It's also a HF unit but it came with the trailer.  Upon disassembly I discovered that it has a solenoid which provides power to the winch motor which is identical to an AMC or Ford starter solenoid.  So I went to my nearest Kragen's and bought one of those NASCAR approved units.  Can't go wrong when something's NASCAR approved.  So the trailer and winch are ready to haul more cars offsite or wherever.  I slept good last night.

Today has been a stone so far.  I planned to paint the hood for my 65 Rambler. I have a Finishline HVLP gun which I think I got from Eastwood.  Anyway, I have been using a medium fluid tip (1.6mm) which is good for PPG epoxy primer and it will work for finish coats but it is not optimum. DeVilbiss recommends the 1.4mm tip for finish coats.  I think the gun came with a 1.4mm fluid tip but I could not find it last week so I ordered a new one online.  When I tried to install it today it just did not seem to fit right.  I downloaded the exploded diagram from the web and it seemed that all the parts were there.  So I assembled the gun and loaded it with Dupont paint and the gun began leaking profusely through the tip.  It made a huge mess and I wasted a gun full of paint by dumping it into a cup which had too much thinner in it.  The neighbors could have learned some new words if they had been listening.  And on a Sunday morning too...   So I cleaned up the
 mess and upon further examination I discovered that the outside diameter of the new fluid tip was larger than the old tip.  In short, it was the wrong part.  At about that time I discovered that I had used all my lacquer thinner so I had to make a trip to the hardware store.  When I came out of the store, the handle broke on the new gallon of thinner.  No damage done, but it reinforced my opinion of the day.  I finally shot paint on the hood and got the same mild orange peel results I had received on the rear quarter but it is acceptable for now.  Dupont Centauri is pretty self-leveling.  It will have to do.  I have house work and yard work to do now and don't expect much more from this day.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA