Re: [AMC-list] towing capacities

I sent this directly to Dave and to the list. There's a PDF file attachment that's a repro of a 58-62 AMC Trailer Towing brochure. It will show up as an attachment or may not make it to the list. If it doesn't show up as an attachment drop me an e-mail if you want it. The standard bolt-on hitches made for the Rambler were for 2,000 lbs. or less, so no problem there. Tongue weight would only be 200-400 lbs., also shouldn't be a problem. I'd fix the rear of those rails (need to anyway...) and use the Draw-Tite hitch (most likely brand name anyway). Would be "period correct" too. Towing with the 196 can be done, but just don't expect much. Remember also that you need to anticipate stops! I towed a trailer from Idaho to SC -- just a 4x8 open utility trailer loaded. It probably weighed 1500-1800 lbs. all together, about the same as yours, but without the drag. I also had an American with auto trans and the 2V carb. This was before I changed the cam though. It towed fine, even through the mountains, but it did slow down a good bit, especially up hills. I had to use 2nd to climb a few hills (well, mountains!). On anything but flat ground lock OD out and leave it that way! Otherwise the trailer could push you down hill and/or you could overheat the brakes. 2nd+OD is so close to third that it's useless. That's why the Twin-Stick trans had a big gap between 2nd and 3rd -- so it could be shifted with 2+OD. ----------------------

Date: 28 May 2009 04:16:08 -0000
From: das24rules@xxxxxxxxx

i almost have casper ready for the motor/trans to go back in. then ill be able
to drive again. got to work on the hitch for it. wondering if i should use the
one thats on the 62 4door parts car i have. regardless, i have to strengthen
the rear frame rails. they are rusted clear thru where the bumper brackets
mount. or should i just modify this other frame mounted class III hitch i
have to take a 2" reciever. it would have to be widend about 18" to fit onto
the rambler frame. its currently on my 71 ford f100.
this trailer weighs between 1200-1500 lbs. depending on options it has. i have
yet to weigh it. i dont THINK i will have a problem towing it, but does anyone
know how much weight a 62 classic with 196 t96/od can tow? what about how much
tongue weight it can handle with the 2 different hitches i am planning to use.
i know it will be out of o/d going up hills, but i dont think it should be to
bad on most in 3rd direct. what about 2nd od if it was needed? i dont think
the 196 puts out enough torque to blow out that od does it? how much
different is 2nd od vs. 3rd direct?
--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts