Re: [AMC-list] No more math before starting the car!

Re: [AMC-list] No more math before starting the car!

Bruce,

The fuse would be a good place to start. Unlike miniature Christmas lights, the bulbs are wired in parallel so replacing one should have gotten that one to work.

You may want to check the dash grounds. The lights that come on with the headlights ground through the headlight switch. A loose switch (or one that's dangling from the dash) will keep those lights from working. A bad switch can also cause this problem.

If it is the other lights (turn signal indicators, etc..), those ground through a separate wire. On the later Americans, the ground wire connects to a stud under the hood by the blower motor. I don't know when AMC starting grounding them that way so your car may be different.

BTW, if the dash does ground to a stud and you break the stud, the heater box has to come out to fix it. That stud broke pretty easily on my 67. If you happen to have the same rotten luck I did with mine, Detroit Muscle Technologies has heater box rebuild kits and it is well worth the trouble to rebuild the heater box while it is out.

Matt

On 5/23/2009 3:03 PM, Bruce Griffis spouted this sage advice:
Got the fuel gauge working. It just required hooking up a ground wire.
Folks here had given info previously, and I was kinda avoiding
anything involving wires. I resubscribed to AMCRC, and the Feb issue
had - tada! - an article on trouble-shooting fuel gauges. I'm limiting
myself to 15 to 30 minute jobs while getting the house in shape. That
fell in the quick job, good payback range - so now we have a fuel
gauge.

I might mess around with dashboard lights again tomorrow. Replacing a
bulb didn't work. Thinking of replacing more bulbs and a fuse or two.
Should fall in the 15-30 minute time range with good payback.

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com
1967 Rambler American wagon