Re: [AMC-list] 71 Gremlin shakes at 60...

That doesn't mean something wasn't tightened or adjusted correctly, so check it all out again. I've seen the best mechanics get in a hurry and leave a bolt or two loose (or even out!). I've done it too. Speed related issues are usually caused tire/wheel problems. Do you have a good spare? It would take a while, but swapping the wheels one by one with the spare might find the culprit. If it diminishes but doesn't eliminate the problem it could be in all four tires. Sometime you just get bad ones. It's easy enough to eliminate the drivetrain. Put it on good jackstands in the back and fire it up. Run it up to 60 (or have someone else do it). If no shakes it's not the drivetrain. Observe the rear wheels for "jump" while you're at it. I shouldn't have to say the jackstand need to be sturdy and at least one front wheel chocked front and back do I? If real concerned chain it to another vehicle, tree, etc., so if it did fall off the stands it wouldn't go anywhere fast. Oh, don't get under it while it's running! If you have access to a lift that pulls all four tires off the ground so much the better!!
--------
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 15:20:20 -0400
From: "Ted Dooling" <tdooling@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I have had the entire front end done over in the last month including upper & lower ball joints and new shocks all around. It is tight. Brand new tires on 69 Javelin rims. Based on previous replies I received a couple of weeks ago I thought I should try another set of rims before looking at drive shaft, rear end, etc or anything else. The shaking starts at 60 mph. The whole car, not just the steering wheel or shifter. So I am trying to see what other car I could borrow a set of wheels from that will go on the 71 Gremlin.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts