Re: [AMC-list] FOR SALE: Mighty Mite in NC!

NO!! There were only a few MMs made from 1960-63, 3,922 according to the 76 version of "The American Motors Family Album". What you're thinking about is the "Mighty Mutt" -- the M-151 Jeep (MUTT is the official designation -- *Military [or Multi-Purpose] Utility Tactical Truck)*. The M-151 was introduced in 59 by Ford, and produced by Ford, Willys, and subsequently AM General through 1982. I don't know how many were made, but would guess well over 250,000 at least. They had swing axles like the early VW bug and Corvair -- universals only at the diff, not at the wheel. This meant that during high speed turns the wheel could "tuck under" and cause the vehicle to flip. Adequate driver training pretty much took care of that though. So in the 80s they were quartered and sold for scrap because of liability issues with untrained civilian drivers. Many were sold whole before the late 70s, and there were probably some incidents in which the gov't was sued. You just couldn't drive it like a typical solid axle vehicle, you had to be a bit more careful under certain conditions. Like anything else, once you know, it's easy enough to avoid the problem. I can't remember anything specific, never had a problem. I am actually licensed and trained to drive one! Didn't get to much though, as they were totally phased out by the mid 90s. The much larger Hummer replaced them. When smaller, lighter vehicles were needed (like security on stateside bases and some overseas bases) Jeep Cherokees and other light trucks and SUVs were adopted. Overseas bases usually used locally sourced light trucks and SUVs. We had some leased Toyota four door trucks in Afghanistan.
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 21:44:39 -0400
From: "Rocky Lear" <lear31@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Wasn't it the MM several years ago that the govt. required MUTILATION of the body before they would even release it for scrap? I remember about 15 years ago, they had thousands of them and people could save all the mechanics off them but the bodies had to be cut up beyond reclaim. If that is the case, there should be tons of spare parts somewhere out there.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts