Re: [AMC-list] Slight vibration in steering wheel at 55 or so ('65 Rambl

Re: [AMC-list] Slight vibration in steering wheel at 55 or so ('65 Rambler American)

I don't think changing the air pressure in the tires would alter a vibration caused by worn trunnions. It could possibly affect the feel of worn strut rod bushings because he tire is taking less of the impact of hitting bumps, transferring more into the strut rod bushings. Those small holes just above the horizontal joint are for removing a pin in the top of the steering knuckle IIRC. There should be a small screw in the hole. The pin would only come out if the steering is in a certain position, so even with the screw gone it's not likely to come out. That's the only hole I can think of. Greasing original trunnions wouldn't do any good. The steering knuckle doesn't actually turn inside the trunnion. It's made like the inner arm bushings -- the rubber actually twists. The new rebuilds with urethane bushings do require greasing and the steering knuckle DOES turn inside those.
--------------
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 15:03:40 -0400
From: Bruce Griffis <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>

I had been running my tires at 25PSI, but pumped them up to 30 last
night. Running around today I noticed more of a vibration in the
steering wheel when cruising at 50-55MPH. Not a lot, but some. I know
I have to replace the strut bushings and have them on hand. If I'm
messing around - how do I know when I need to replace tie rod ends,
ball joints and all that stuff? The car does seem to float at speed,
steering is imprecise (compared to my Corolla and my wife's
Highlander). Is it time to get a whole stack 'o parts then bring it in
for alignment once finished? What should be included in that stack 'o
parts?

Tires are new and balanced. Shocks are new. The rest is pretty old.

Also, while gazing fondly at the trunnions, I noticed a small hole in
each of them facing the back of the car. Do they normally have small
holes drilled in them? Would an enterprising fellow pop a grease gun
up there? Or what's the deal? Perhaps I ought to take a picture and
post it.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts