Re: [AMC-list] Talk to me about headliners

Re: [AMC-list] Talk to me about headliners

Bruce,

Is it a 1 piece textured headliner? If so, you need to remove the dome light and the trim and the front and rear windows. Once those pieces are out of place, push up around the headliner where it curves down towards the channel above the doors. Once it comes up some, you'll be able to work the edge out of the channel. Since it is sagging, it will probably drop down pretty easy but there are foam pads that hold it up in the center that you'll need to work loose. A putty knife between the pad and the roof will help with that. You will also need to have someone help support it while you take it out because they can become still with age.

Whatever you use to clean it, you need to keep it as try as possible and use very mild cleaners. These headliners are basically fancy cardboard and do not take to getting wet.

Matt

On 5/14/2009 6:33 PM, Bruce Griffis spouted this sage advice:
I posted a while back about headliners, and have been giving it more
thought lately. My headliner is starting to sag a bit, and I'd like to
take care of it. It also is dark with tobacco smoke. I was looking at
the trim pieces around the headliner.

What would be the deal in removing it? Would I take out all the trim
pieces and coat hangers? How does the dome light come off? Anything
else I need to remove?

Assuming I can get it out in one piece, does it scrub up - or would I
need to hit it with white spray paint? What's the best solution? Then
simply glue it back in place? Is there a backing piece in there that I
would need to replace? Has anyone taken pictures of headliner removal
and repair? If I break it, are there generic replacements available?

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com
1967 Rambler American wagon