Re: [AMC-list] Help I'm in a clutch dilema...

Re: [AMC-list] Help I'm in a clutch dilema...

Richard,
I'm coming late to this party, and others have given good advice already. I just checked my parts catalog and TSM and found that the four (2.5L Iron Duke) was equipped with a 9.125" clutch disc, while the six was equipped with a 9.5" disc.

For the four, the cover assembly is unique in AMC usage, as it uses dowels to locate the cover on the flywheel. This one seems to be reasonably available; RockAuto lists it in three brands.

The clutch disc and cover assembly for the six is the same for all 82/83 01-40 (Concord/Spirit), both 4- and 5-speed transmissions. The cover mounts with three bolts and has a 9.5" pressure plate. I found a cross reference for the clutch set (cover/disc) on O'Reilly Auto Parts web site as a special order Fenco (Fenwick Automotive Products) #BU1881A. No price is listed, and it is not available for online ordering. Fenco's web catalog <http://www.fencoparts.com> doesn't list this part number, so it may be dead, though the company claims "full coverage from 1920 to current year models". AutoZone lists the disc only as Valucraft #FCP1007N.

The 1982 TSM points out that the Concord/Spirit clutch is different from the Eagle, which switched to 10.5" in mid-81. The Eagle clutch cover mounts with six bolts.

--Glen