Re: [AMC-list] road trip!

Yeah well it's all moot. I got me no rocks! None! What a bust!

The newest mine data I had was 1980, 1979. That's OK, it's not like they're
going anywhere. However, it's all ranch land, and everything was padlocked.
Not just cattle gates ("dont leave open") but big fat padlocks. I'll climb
over (and did) but all of the mines are a mile or more off the road. (Except
the ones that aren't, and those are, surprise! entombed by the feds in huge
mounds of rock. I have pics, .... later...)

Got video and photos though, half the project. So not a total loss.

Molly, the eldest dog, had a swell time ensconced in the fold down front
seat.

1534 miles in 2.5 days. Did the whole thing at 70mph, and it ran SWEET!!
with the Howell TBI kit. In the last month I'd started over, from scratch (a
lot easier the second time!) and got it pretty close to spot-on.

Saw two other ramblers, oddly, two early americans. One 1960-earlier, on a
car hauler big rig. Red with white roof wagon, super shiny, heading to Los
Angeles (direction). The other was a 61-63, red, dull paint but good
condition, in AZ, E. of Holbrook at the "ROOT 66" campground (yes, that's
what the sign says,and no, it's not ironic). Plus one super snazzy Ford
Country Squire wagon. "Country Squire?" What century/planet is this?
Contemporize, man, contemporize!

Zero problems with the car, though on the way back the brake pedal felt
mushy for a bit. Immediately checking brake fluid level, it was down 1/2".
I'd checked it before the trip, it was 3/16" down. Bought DOT3 and topped
off (has silicone in it...) better than dry. No further leakage, pedal
remained hard. No mind I'm gonna shotgun the master cyl, rear brake line and
all three rubbers for good measure. It's been 20 years on my last work!

I did climb over the barbed wire fence covered with RADIOACTIVE MATERIALS
and other signs. It was the Marquez? mine and buildings, which basically the
EPA bulldozed into a pile and covered with a lot of rocks. A LOT of rocks. A
HUGE-A** LOT OF ROCKS. Like 3, 4 city blocks square and one story high. I
swiped some rocks (zero measurable radiation -- and i have good survey gear)
as souveneirs.

Swiped some signs too, eh, sue me.