Re: [AMC-list] Fwd: 1958 Rambler American restoration

Re: [AMC-list] Fwd: 1958 Rambler American restoration

Well, that's the first manual trans car I know of with the cone on the crank, but most of my cars have been 61+. It's possible that the earlier cars used the cone even with the manual trans. I'm not sure if your transmission input shaft would work with a later model flat crankshaft. Someone on the list should have a T-96 they can measure for the shaft length from the front of the trans to the tip (I think Tom does). Sounds like the trans is out of yours. Could you measure the input shaft of the trans? It could be that simply changing the pilot bushing will allow swapping the transmissions. The cone on some is pressed in and will come off, or at least there was a press in cone made to fit into the later crank so that an older trans could be used. Finding one would be next to impossible now, few even knew they existed. Unless of course the cone on yours comes off. If you can, take a photo of the input shaft also (on the trans if fine!) and send that. It might be helpful along with the measurement. A photo with a tape measure (or other ruler) alongside the input shaft would be ideal!

I'm not familiar with Falcon, but Kanter is a good company to deal with. They should be able to supply a Master Rebuild Kit with pistons. They get pistons from Egge also.

John C. Metts wrote:
Dear Frank:

I really appreciate your help and information.

My situation is a little confusing from the information you provided.  My
car is a manual transmission but the crankshaft has the cone you are
speaking about.  Could I possibly have an engine that was not the original
1958.  I didn't think this was the case.  This car was my wife's high school
car and her Dad bought it used in 1959 or 1960.  Therefore, a early 60's
engine doesn't seem realistic.  Is there some was I can tell the year of the
engine?

Anyway, any further help or information would be greatly appreciated.  I
have decided to purchase the complete engine rebuilt kit from either Kanter
or Falcon.  Any thoughts there?  The engine has already been bored out to
.0040 and we have found pistons from Egge.

My father in law had done some previous engine work on this car.
Unfortunately, he has passed away.  I should have asked about it years ago.

John C. Metts
2407 Sierra Vista
Artesia, NM  88210
Telephone  505.736.1962