Re: [AMC-list] The big tow of shame

Ugh! Bummer! Tow of shame, yeah -- up on a truck to show your woes. Last
summer (or before? I forget) I ran my propane Rambler OUT OF GAS! in
Huntington Beach and had to get TOWED to the LP station. (Gas guage lied.)

Well yours worked out OK I guess, and the downsides are part of getting an
old car reliable, and the lows sometimes match the highs. It's an adventure!
No one even knows what the hell a car-bu-retor is any more (friends in Santa
Fe have a friend that calls carburetted cars "gas cars", i don't know what
he thinks his Honda runs on).

Fluffy dry black --  yup gas. Though it's no guarentee of success -- does
the idle adjust correctly? When the carb is just right, the idle screw
setting is very repeatably precise. The screw should be out about 1 and a
half turns. When the idle is perfect, turning it in 1/4 turn should make it
slow down and roughen slightly; turned back out 1/4 turn it should be
perfect. If you are careful, you can hear/feel 1/8 of a turn. It's THAT
sensitive.

If it's NOT that sensitive, and especially if the screw is in all the way,
and 1/2 or a whole turn doesn't make much difference, then it's probably too
rich. Motors generally seem complacent sloppy and happy on the rich side;
preformance is OK, mileage migt be poor, but it's quite drivable -- up to
the point plugs won't fire.

Carbs are really touchy to get right, and if they are all crapped up,
dented, dinged, shafts worn, etc, you might not ever get it right. I was
lucky that Joe gave me a NOS carb with the Rambler I got from him. It's a
huge reason my motor runs so good. It's really worth the search for a good
one.

--
All of your arguments are invalid.
Enjoy your unstable system.