Re: [Amc-list] Will this distributor work?

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 6:35 PM, Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Did you say junkyard?  I'm interested.  Ha.
>
> How would you wire a points distributor into a TFI module?   Anyone?
>  Bueller?

If you have to buy anything I'd go with the HEI module. A lot less wiring!!
The Duraspark box needs all those klunky connectors. But if you have one in
a junk box...

It would require experimentation (and possible ruination though sadly, less
than 'fire' wold result from that). One side of the points is grounded, so
the signal you got to work with is the other wire that grounds the coil low
side. That would have tyo be used to ground some "network" of parts you glom
onto the duraspark box's reluctor-input pins.

But there is a possible timing issue; exactly when in the cycle the
Duraspark box fires the coil (virtual "points open")  is unknown, but
testable. With points, when the points run down the back side of the cam,
the rotor is pointing at the plug wire.

With a faked-up box+points, the Duraspark box might fire when the points
CLOSE. That might be no good. But! you might get away with setting the
points to very large or very small dwell and that will change the timing.

Is it all worth it? Dunno. Sounds like an afternoon's experiment with an old
distrib on the bench; work up the input network, then if it indeed fires the
coil, check that the rotor is aligned OK.

--
All your arguments are invalid.
Enjoy your unstable system.