From: "tom jennings" <tomj@xxxxxxx>
To: martin-davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans." <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 1:13:30 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Will this distributor work?

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 4:21 AM, Davis Martin <martin-davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> I have a friend that has a ramabler wagon that has the 193 or 196 inline 6
> motor. I have a GM inline 6 HEI distributor that he is wanting but will it
> work on his old style 6 cylinder? I thought the blocks were all the same
> just a little bit different bore and stroke. Any help is greatly
> appreciated.

It's an old Delco-Remy for the OHV motor, and there's no alternative, just
the one part. The inliner crowd has the same problem.

Definitely the way to go is Pertronix, and for the adventurous, you can
extract another 10 degrees of mechanical advance from it. I've done both in
my motor. Ignition timing is so insanely conservative there's a lot of low
hanging fruit to be plucked here.

http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/Distributor/

Note that the flathead and OHV motors use different distributors and the
Pertronix part number above is for OHV.

More American stuff at

http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/

--