[Amc-list] Hornet Duraspark, resistance wire voodoo...

[Amc-list] Hornet Duraspark, resistance wire voodoo...

 When I printed out the instructions for the upgrade, it was a bit confusing. On the one hand, it seemed to say you leave the resistance wire in. Then it said the RED WIRE needed FULL 12v. Ok. But one of the wires to the coil needed  resistance or too much current would go to the module, so it said, and it would eventually fail.

Here's where I got my directions from :

http://wps.com/AMC/distributor/index.html

The wiring diagram shows the RED wire gets a resistance between it and the coil. I don't know if the wires I reused have that resistance ( faded, seemed to be tan, if any color, once I removed some tape and exposed the Ignition on/off wire by key ). So I'm not sure I have any resistance going to the coil, just full 12v. Will that hurt it?

Another problem I have is that I and S terminals on the Solenoid both have Green wires, one with a white stripe ( S ), and the other with a black stripe ( I ). And neither of those colors show up ANYWHERE going to the coil, or anywhere near it. So, I hooked up the White wire to the I post wire with a splice. I don't think I spliced into the S post wire yet, I just ran from the original coil + wire that had 3 leads, one to capacitor ( noise ) and the others from former connections on the Prestolite set-up now going to the Red wire on the module. So while it IS running, I don't want to damage it until I know I have got it wired correctly for long-term use, so won't be driving it until I can understand what is supposed to be wired where. But at least I'm closer to it being driveable. I just wish they hadn't put that damn Ohm wire inside a harness, I much preferred the older cars with it mounted on the firewall where you could SEE it, and WORK on it. Like my
 old '57 Chevy. Ah well. Progress. sigh. Gotta dig out those wiring diagrams I know I have for a '76 ( somewhere....)

Jerry in Virginia