Re: [AMC-list] Auto Fads

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 01:23:41PM -0500, Sheldon Aubut wrote:

> I've never looked at those "fads" as the "worst" of anything.  If one goes
> back in time and looks at the things on that list in the light of those
> times one would find that many of them were highly desirable no matter how
> stupid of an idea they might have been in the practical world.  Heck, in the
> mid 60's I even had fuzzy dice.

Well, there are harmless fads that manage to retain kitsch or (shudder)
ironic value, like fuzzy dice.  But I strongly disagree that your thesis
applies to something as toxic and pernicious as the speech synthesis that
the article talks about.  That gets filed under nagware of a sort that's
way too stupid and annoying to be ignored or appreciated for some kind of
camp value.

Jonathan