[AMC-list] Auto Fads

I've never looked at those "fads" as the "worst" of anything.  If one goes
back in time and looks at the things on that list in the light of those
times one would find that many of them were highly desirable no matter how
stupid of an idea they might have been in the practical world.  Heck, in the
mid 60's I even had fuzzy dice.  Some things, rather than being considered
"worst fads" were wonderful eye-catchers in their day.  I remember being a
13 year old still in Junior High and seeing one of the seniors show up at
school with his 1958 Chevy Impala, powder blue and white convertible with
curb feelers, continental kit, dual rear antennas, fuzzy dice and every
other do-dad he could add to the car.  We ooohed and aweeed, drooled, and
thought this was the coolest car we'd ever seen.  And I suspect if I saw the
same car today I'd pretty much react the same as it sure would be a
"classic".  So, would curb feelers, continental kits and such be considered
"fads" as they are even more popular on old cars now as they were then?

I think the SX/4 emblems on my '83 SX/4 Sport are great, and if you want to
say something is a "fad" I guess spoilers and such on a 4X4 car  are about
as far as one can go from practicality.

Funny stuff though and it brought back a lot of memories.

Sheldon Aubut
Houlton  WI  USA
http://www.sheldonaubut.com

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you
didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail
away from the safe harbor.  Catch the trade winds in your sails.  Explore.
Dream.  Discover."  ~~ Mark Twain