Re: [AMC-list] cash for clunkers

Wrambler <wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:

>yeah, this "new" clunker law has a whole pile of regs to keep people from buying a $200 car and trading it in.
>the 84 cutoff date is/was intended to keep classic vehicles from being scrapped.
>Although I'm betting there are few 80's fan that are unhappy....

Technically it's not a "cash for clunkers" law but a "cash for guzzlers" law.  As I understand it, they can be up to 25 years old, but they have to get *under* a certain MPG rating.

I don't like it.  I've been trying to find a Lincoln Continental Mark VII LSC in good lo mile condition.  That's going to be all but impossible now.

There are actually some really nice cars post-1984 that are going to go to the trash heap.

There are several major drawbacks about it:

1.  It's going to raise the going price for older cars up to what the government paid -- meaning more people on the financial margins will find it harder to find a decent older CHEAP car to get them from point A to B.

2.  It puts the camel's nose into the tent.  Today, cars up to 25 years old.  Tomorrow, it might be 40, or 100.  "When they came for the Impalas, I didn't protest, because I didn't own an Impala.  When they came for the Hummer, I didn't protest, because I didn't own a Hummer..."

3.  It's voluntary now, but "voluntary" laws **always** become mandatory after a while.  Remember seat belt laws.

Perhaps a better way to sell more fuel-efficient cars would have been for congressmen, Senators, the president, and every other bureacrat to become the example, act like they're one of us and one with us, and sell their limosines and big luxoboats -- andd buy a compact American-made car.  And maybe drive it themselves, sans a chauffeur.

MARC MONTONI
Richmond VA
http://RichmondRambler.tripod.com/
http://Hasdrubal.tripod.com/Index.htm
http://FreeVirginia.blogspot.com/
Cu vi parolas Esperanton?
Freedom.  Responsibility.  www.LP.org
I'd rather push a Rambler than drive a Toyota.
Visit www.AMCRC.com or www.AMONational.com .