[AMC-list] Pretty Good Weekend

I got some things done on the 65 American.  I'm slow but when I make progress it's generally rewarding.  It all started with the loose frayed emergency brake cable last week.  I couldn't stand the loose bracket and I adjusted the brake but I still could not get the handle to go all the way into the sleeve.  So I dropped the assembly and found that the cable had wadded up and frayed slightly at the operator end, presumably due to not being adjusted properly by the PO.  I bought a new cable was preparing to install it, but I thought what the heck?  I then started looking at the dash.  It's a metal dash with no pad and had surface rust from sitting in a damp barn or garage for over twenty years.  I needed to replace the speedo cluster anyway due to rust on the numerals (yes, it was that wet).  I had a used speedo cluster from Andy Ray in Vegas. It is a frustrating job to remove on a 65.  You will definitely teach the neighbors some new words if you remove a
 65 American speedo cluster.

So with the cluster out, this weekend I sanded the dash and I had some flat blue lacquer from Tower Paint left over from my 66 project.  I masked and painted the dash and it looks good man.  I have a new fuel gauge coming from an Ebay auction so I should have the cluster back in this week.  I hope to run the engine again and check out the transmission (and the gauges) next weekend (and adjust the valves for the first time while warm.)   While the paint was drying on parts, I continued assembling the 232 long block for a 76 Hornet project.  That and family stuff made it a great weekend.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA