Re: [AMC-list] Ron Francis brake light switch - that was easy

Re: [AMC-list] Ron Francis brake light switch - that was easy

I have my 65 Rambler dash apart now.  I pulled the instrument cluster this weekend.  That car must have really been wet inside for a long time.  The numbers on the speedometer were almost unreadable due to corrosion.  There was no voltage regulator in the slot either.  Judging from the detritus left under the seats, (and the audio tapes in the trunk) one of the PO's was a female person of the opposite sex.  Yes, I used that word on the AMC list.  She must have relied on telepathy to tell how much gas was left in the tank (no voltage to gauges).  Someone had installed a mechanical coolant temp gauge though.

What I meant to say Bruce is that you need to reach under the dash and push a little button on the headlight switch body while pulling out on the switch shaft.  You may need to twist the shaft back and forth but you should feel the shaft release and then you can get to the french nut (sorta redundant) which holds the switch onto the dash.  Needlenose pliers will work to turn the nut since most of us don't have a wrench for that nut.

If anyone is parting out a 64 or 65 American which has a decent speedo head, I'm interested.   Stop me before I buy that NOS 64 Rambler head that's on Ebay right now.  Or Tom J. (hint, hint) maybe you could photoshop cool new numbers for my speedo.

Joe Fulton