Re: [AMC-list] list is silent

ha, i had the EXACT SAME THING happen to me last sunday. however i have vacume
wipers, but was raining on me also. my gen light comes on when alt is not
charging. but it was not coming on. i am running a 60 amp 10si alt with
internal voltage regulator. i dont know what kind of alt your running. i had
my radio on, and just the park lights. my radio quit, and my car started
running like CRAP. i got to my moms house (45 miles away) and noticed that my
lights were barely visible. upon inspection, on the 10si, there is a main
battery wire. a wire that runs from the dash light to the alt to energize it.
then there is also a wire that runs from the bat terminal to another terminal
on the alt. without that short jumper wire, alt will show on the dash it is
charging, but really, it aint chargin. that was my problem. the wire had
pulled out of the eyelet connector on the bat terminal jumper wire.
check your voltage with the car off at the battery. start the car and check
voltage. by the way, have NO accesories on for these 2 checks. now, turn on
headlights, on bright, wipers, radio, heater ect. check voltage. voltage with
car off should be around 12.5 volts +/- .3 volts. with car running and nothing
on, should be 14.5 volts +/- .5 volts. with everything on, should be 13.5
volts +/- .5 volts. you either have a bad connection between alt, battery,
energize wire, or if you have an external voltage regulater, it could not be
working right. or, your alt could be going bad, and not putting out amperage
it is suposed to when you have everything on. 35 amp output is a little low
for running headlights, wipers, high output ignition, and other accesories. i
would probably step up to an alt with a little more output.
i hope this helps

dave stohler
www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules