Re: [AMC-list] d@mned holley carb anyway

ok, so i made it home from the cruise today. put on around 250 miles. had some
issues. shaved a hole in my lower radiator hose. it started rubbing on the alt
fan. had to run it about 35-40 miles the rest of the way into town with no
more water to add to it. lucky for me, it was 90% all down hill. kick it in
neutral, and coast down the hills, and the temp never showed above 170*. got
to town, got the hose replaced, and took just barely over a gallon. on the
way home, car just died at the bottom of one of the bigger mountain passes. i
had just gotten over it and was gettin back down to the flat ground. was
acting like a fuel issue. would spit and sputter and die. had fuel in the
carb. well, finally found out no spark. points were dirty. pocket knife
cleaned them up, road side adjustment and made it to my parents house. (still
46 miles from my house and your lucky if you see 2 or 3 cars on the drive
between) was leaving my parents house, and couldnt get anything more than
about 1500 rpms. turned around and went back to their house. wasnt gettin
fuel this time. so, time to pull the carb apart again. even tho the RIGHT
STUFF said solvent, gasoline, ect resistant, dont mean it works as a float
bowl gasket material. it disolved. i guess one more thing that was ok with
old gas and the ethenol disolves it now? anyway, had a glob of it plugging my
jet. no carb cleaner up there, no air compressor, but she did have one of
those cans of compressed air you use to clean your computer and stuff with.
pulled the jet off, blew it out, blew out the port on the carb, and worked.
for a while. died again after i had just gotten to the bottom of the first
pass between their house and mine. got it to fire back up before i had
coasted to a complete stop. and died 1 more time about 5 miles down the road.
then, after that, no more spittin, sputterin nothing all the way home. ran
just fine. so, really, not anything major, just little irritating things.
especially when it is raining and your trying to fix them. dave stohler
www.picasaweb.google.com/das24rules