Re: [AMC-list] my interior/was/casper done for now??

Re: [AMC-list] my interior/was/casper done for now??

Until Frank's reply, I didn't realize what faux vinyl you meant. The console
on my 63 AMer had the same stuff, it was strange, looked like "vinyl"
(itself a faked leather look, so it's faked fake) but was very hard and
chipped off.

I spent a few hours with a razor sharp putty knife and simply removed it
all. Then I repaired the zillion cracks and shears in the fiberglas, epoxied
and sanded and painted it.

I'm now using only Montana and Beltran brand aerosol paints. I can't say
enough good about them. There's no comparison to Krylon or other hardware
store brands, it's like iPod to 5-tube AM table radio.

I painted the steel wheels on my American with this insanely bright gloss
green and they've held up -- zero chipping and no fade or loss of gloss --
in a year or more of driving. Same paint on the interior (dash and trim).
Same brand but silver with clear coat on the console.

It's cheap too. Made in Spain and Germany. You get to pick the spray top
spray pattern!

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 06:14, Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I looked at your pics. Seems that the hard vinyl surface comes off the main
> console body. I've seen consoles covered with plain vinyl or thin
> carpeting/thick upholstery material. Just neatly fold and glue in the back
> and where tucked under the edges, or use decorative head/washer screws in
> the folds. I think your idea of painting, and possibly using a thick coating
> like bedliner to build up/roughen the surface is a good idea too.
> ----------
> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 00:46:07 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Wrambler <wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Don't it just figure, I would be tearing mine apart when everyone else is
> finishing up!
>
> I asked over on the forum.
> Does anyone have a tried and true refinish for a shot faux vinyl on the
> console?
>
> I think I asked here too, but no-one is answering.
> I'm thinking perhaps bedliner and a satin black finish ro some of that faux
> granite spray like I used on my cluster surround.
> Then topcoat with satin black.
> --
> Frank Swygert
> Publisher, "American Motors Cars" Magazine (AMC)
> For all AMC enthusiasts
> http://farna.home.att.net/AMC.html
> (free download available!)

All of your arguments are invalid.