Re: [AMC-list] Clutch parts source for cars with T96?

Re: [AMC-list] Clutch parts source for cars with T96?

" From: Bruce Griffis <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" I know this has been posted before, but off-hand, does anyone have a
" good source for a clutch rebuild kit for a 1965 Rambler American with
" the T96 three-on-the-tree?
"
" []
"
" Any part numbers available? My son has a friend that applies a spiffy
" discount - I might go there and do that, rather than go traditional
" routes.
"
" So, now for the clutch. I need a pressure plate, clutch plate,
" throwout bearing and maybe a pilot bushing. Anyone got a good source?
" I figure I better get the clutch taken care of before popping on a
" trailer hitch and hauling the Apache around. We're getting closer!

can't say if they're available, but equivalents to perfection brand
rcf658	disc
ca1676	pp
st771	'50-'65 to brg
st4008	'64-9   to brg
are the stock 9 1/8" parts.  dunno why 2 bearings cover '64-5.

if you plan on towing, i'd suggest you see if you can get equivs to
rcf446	disc
ca1525	pp
which are hd 10" parts.  the pp is for 273s and slant 6s but bolts to
the small 9 1/8" flywheel pattern; the disc is a '71-4 amc t14 hd part
for 258s and 304s.  they'll give you more capacity and especially more
wear life in stiffer service.  btw some year slants also used the
st771 to brg.

for anyone wanting an hd clutch for a '64-'71 199/232/258, the above
will work fine, but you could also get a pp that fits the larger 10.5"
pattern.  warning - a b&b style pp has to be a real 10", not a 10.5"
as many places will try to sub; it won't work - ask me how i know.  a
10.5" diaphragm pp may well be low-profile enough to turn freely in
the '60s bell.  i don't know of a 10.5" disc for the t96-t14 spline.

another warning - -initial- pedal freeplay is close to zero, at least
with the 10" b&b that i used; it had a longer travel than the 9 1/8"
and took all the pedal to go from engaged to disengaged when new.  it
was fine after a few hundred miles.