Re: [AMC-list] Brake and Bearing questions

Re: [AMC-list] Brake and Bearing questions

yup, what Matt sez.

I'll add only that it's really hard to see that the inner races are
removable when the inside is caked with decades of old grease!

If you scoop it all out with your fingers, you'll see that the hub is
machined for the inner bearing race to press into, and there are two
crescent-shaped clearance notches to let you get a drift in there to tap it
out.

YOu tap out the INNER race from the OUTER race end, and vice versa. Takes a
few minutes, tap one then the other. Don't get it cocked else it might nick
the hub, but it's not too critical since there's so much meat in there.

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 17:32, Matt Haas <mhaas@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> The inner race is part of the bearing itself but there is an outer race
> that is in the hub of the spindle. You need to drive it out and replace it
> with the one that came with the new bearing. The bearings are matched to
> their races during manufacturing. You can usually mix brand new races on
> brand new bearings without problems but mixing new and old is bad.
>
> Also, you should take the opportunity to repack the bearings on the other
> side while it is all apart. If any of the bearings are suspect, it is best
> to replace them now.
>
> Matt
>
> On 6/16/2009 11:12 AM, Wayne E Lamothe spouted this sage advice:
> <snip>
>
>> Bearings, one rotor came with the inner bearing missing.  I have one from
>> NAPA along with the inner seal but would like to see a diagram of how it
>> all goes together before I just slam in in.  Not sure if there is an
>> inner race to remove from the old bearing etc.  Anyone have an IPB on the
>> pacer brakes?
>>
> </snip>
> --
> mhaas@xxxxxxx