Re: [AMC-list] Hot Rod

HEY! That's almost what "AMC Magazine" is! I have plans on covering a couple cool engine swaps, but try to keep it all AMC related. We don't all just restore or race AMCs, there's lots of "in between". I guess it's about time I offer up some sample issues again. So if anyone on the list sends me an e-mail, I'll include them on the PDF file list this next issue, which should go out late next week. I'm open for any/all articles, just have to have some AMC content or connection. A favorite road or road trip is great! I have to tell you, getting people to write something even for a quarterly is tough, or rather getting material at a steady rate. I keep it as low cost as possible, but can't do it at no cost. If I don't count overhead for things like office space, computer equipment use, power, office materials, etc., and just account for direct costs such as printing and mailing, I make $5 an hour. Those other things DO have some costs, so that can be cut down to more like $3 an hour. I'm not in it for the money, obviously! There's a vicious cycle here -- gotta have big circulation to get big advertisers, gotta have big advertisers and/or a big starting budget to get big circulation! Throw in a lot of low-tech advice on how to do things without buying lots of stuff from advertisers, and you have another problem... I don't care much for doing projects that use parts and pieces just to highlight a product unless it's necessary or really does some good in some way. Like the Car Craft AMC 360 build with Chevy rods and special machine work and such. All that could have been done with roughly the same results using less machine work and available AMC specific parts. I guess they needed to include the Chevy rods and special pistons because of a vendor? I'm not sure about that -- probably not, just the way the Chevy machine shop decided to do it, but I think you get the point.
--------
ate: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 18:04:08 -0500
From: Bruce Griffis <bruce.griffis@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] Hot Rod

Tom - great idea. Wonder if it's time to think of an e-zine? Using
carclub members or just regular guys (and girls) to write articles and
snap pics - and an editor or two to rewrite and format. Something
encompassing old cars, low gloss, tech how-to's, and maybe favorite
roads. A low-cost, no-cost e-zine supported by skunky ads.

That might be kinda cool.

--
Frank Swygert
For all AMC enthusiasts